Friday, July 11, 2008

Jesus, Life, Baseball, Church, Careers, and Books



I have been spending a lot of time on the Lehman College campus hanging out with people, making friends, playing basketball, prayer walking and planting some Gospel seeds in some hearts along the way. Its amazing how the Lord will use you if you simply ask him. Before going on campus every day I will pray for the Lord to take my body and use it. I pray that I will be emptied and that the Holy Spirit would fill me up with His awesome power. Luke 13:11 says, "If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" So I ask and He gives.

I have had so many excellent conversations with people on this campus who are so lost. And the sad thing is, they have no clue they are lost. Through this, I've discovered one of Satan's biggest tools is making people busy. Because if you are busy, you never have time to think. And as long as he can keep you from thinking you will never find Truth. Through conversations with people on campus I have been able to share how much Jesus has taken a hold of my heart and how I've never been the same since.

In a conversation with Anthony, journalism major, sports writer, and avid Mets fan (which is rare in the Bronx) I was able to share my testimony, and express how much I really believed that Jesus loves me and loves him just as much.

I shared how I am an adventurer kind of guy and how Jesus was so cool to me because He was always doing outrageous things. He spend 30 days in the wilderness without food or water, He went sailing and then when the storm got to big made it stop, He actually walked across water, He shared meals with the "scum of the earth" kinds of people, He defied the Roman Empire by refusing to speak to its royalty when in questioning, He yelled some serious warnings against the religious gurus of the time, and did I mention He tore up the temple because he was furious at what was going on in there.

Jesus is a mans man. And thats a King, I can dig.

Anthony was pretty impressed by Jesus. It definitely wasn't the same Jesus he has heard about smiling and petting a baby lamb with his blue eyes and pristine shiny teeth. This was a guy worth getting to know. A guy worth following. Even a guy you could fall in love with. And there's not a doubt left in Anthony's mind that I am madly in love with my Lord. Anthony and I talked for a couple more hours about Jesus, life, baseball, the church, current books we were reading and possible future careers.

Will Anthony be baptized? Will he find a church home in the Bronx? Will he ever search for more answers about Jesus? Will he read the Gospels? Will he become a missionary? I'm not sure. But I know one thing. I made a new friend. And I got to tell my new friend about the one who changed everything for me.

1 Corinthians 3:6 says, "I [Paul] planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow." I planted the seed. Maybe I'll even get a chance to water it some more. But now its time to pray. Pray for Anthony. Pray that God will make Anthony grow into a tree that bears a lot of fruit. Pray that the Lord of the harvest will send out more workers. Prayer I will make some new friends here. Pray for my boldness. Pray. He wants to hear from you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Bubba!
Wow...that is so incredible! If I didn't already know Jesus, your description would certainly have peaked my interest too! God certainly does speak through you! I am so amazed at the way he is gifting you. You may not know this side of Heaven all the ways you are changing the world, but for sure you are! I love you...and I'll be praying for Anthony---and you!
Love, Mama

Anonymous said...

Jordan, I couldn't be more proud of you!! You are truly walking and talking as Jesus did, we should all be as bold as you. I am loving reading your blogs and continue to pray for you. Preach on Brother Bunch! May God richly bless your time there. Love you,
Kathryn

Brent Bailey said...

Excellent story. It's amazing how many people are receptive to the Gospel when Christians finally take the step and speak Jesus' name to them. I am encouraged by the way God has empowered you to live boldly!

Thanks for the reminders to keep praying. I'm on it!